Sunday, December 2, 2012

Day 1: Angel

The world lost a wonderful soul last month. I'm going to miss Fred and his easygoing ways, his corny jokes and just overall joy that he brought whenever he was around.

I've been in a funk over the last few weeks hearing about his last days, his passing and attending his funeral. But then I try to remember how Fred never let things get him down, not even a brain cancer diagnosis at 28 years of age.

Lots of things have always made me think of Fred, and will continue to do so. In particular, Jason's Deli and Jack Johnson. But I remember driving to Austin once (same trip where he slept through me getting pulled over!) and us pointing out this tree to one another.

"It stands on Highway 71 between La Grange and Bastrop, Texas. You can see it from far away, and admire its shape and canopy. Although weakened by drought, to Fred, it will always remain "Perfect Tree". We'll remember him when we pass it in our travels."

No comments:

Post a Comment